Tuesday 1 July 2014

How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Movie Review

How to Train Your Dragon 2 is the Dreamworks Animation sequel to the first film with Jay Baruchel as the voice of Hiccup, the lead character. In this film, Hiccup and Toothless discover an ice cave in which pirate-esk people are hiding and capturing dragons for an army.

I adore the first film on so many levels. It had great animation, hilarious moments and just so much heart. This film, blows everything in the first film, right out of the water and then some.

The characters are just so amazing in every single way. The relationship between Hiccup and Toothless will go down in not only animation's history but this will go down in film history as quite possibly the greatest relationship between a human and an animal. The relationship between Hiccup and Astrid is so damn great. I wish this was explored more but I mean, it's not a flaw, they are making a third film so by the end of the series I'm sure they will have a more fleshed out relationship but it is still developing so I am not worried just yet.



The animation is seemingly flawless. The reason I say seemingly is because so much is happening on the screen that I missed some things that happened which does add a lot of re watchability. The dragons look amazing. Every dragon has a unique design and a unique personality, distinguishing each dragon making the chemistry between each dragon so much better.

This film may be a bit frightening for young children. There are a couple of dark scenes that may frighten young children. I have a lot of reasons to believe that this film is the Empire Strikes Back of the How to Train Your Dragon series. I hope that this is a trilogy because each film steps it up and I don't want them to drag this series out like they did with Shrek. I trust the director because he is staying on for the third film.

Look, I know that these films are based off books but I have absolutely zero interest to read them because I am so invested in these movies. And yes I will touch on how adorable and funny Toothless is, he is probably the cutest animation character I have ever seen which is saying a lot seeing as how many animated films I have seen.

This film is easily in my top 5 animations of all time

I'm going to give How to Train Your Dragon 2

A+

I'm Jonathan and this is Movies for the People


No comments:

Post a Comment